Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

10 year old springer.the vet cut down the ear last year and

Customer Question

10 year old springer.the vet cut down the ear last year and she lost all her hearing months after that. What do I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No, but we put K9 ear solutions from liquid health. But they smell.
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lexi
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lexi?
Customer: It was $1200 to cut the ear canel.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I believe you're describing a lateral ear resection that was performed last year and the ear remains infected as evidenced by the smell and need to continue flushing the horizontal ear canal. There's a good chance that Lexi's middle ear is infected. In these cases the ear drum might be perforated and the middle ear irrigated with a nontoxic solution. A systemic antibiotic is then administered for 3-6 weeks preferably based on a bacterial culture and sensitivity. If the middle ear is badly affected as I expect it is, a total ear ablation might be recommended. This, too, is costly but usually curative. The loss of the ear isn't as critical in dogs who have already lost their hearing.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.