Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

If my dog ate Aleve, how would it take for me to notice

Customer Question

if my dog ate Aleve, how long would it take for me to notice
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now it will depend on the dose your dog had and their weight (small doses in large dogs are less harmful then larger ones in small dogs), but generally speaking we can see signs of GI upset start within 2-4 hours post ingestion. Often we see vomiting, appetite loss, drooling, and diarrhea. Though if we have a severe overdose, we could see late arising signs associated with kidney damage (increased thirst and urination of dilute urine) and associated with stomach ulcers (bloody or brown vomit, belly pain, black stools, paling gums). These can arise with the initial signs but can also appear a few days to a week later. So, if your dog has had quite a large dose, we'd be worried about the above. And even if he isn't showing signs, it would be ideal to get your local vet involved so stomach protecting medication and IV fluids can be started to keep him from harm.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )