Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

What happens if a standard poodle eats a tub of butter?

Customer Question

what happens if a standard poodle eats a tub of butter?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, we can see a few different issues when dogs eat a large volume of a rich food like butter. Most often we just see stomach upset with diarrhea +/- vomiting or appetite loss. Often this is self-limiting and passes once the butter is out of their system. Otherwise, we can see some sensitive dogs react to the fat content in the butter and this can cause inflammation of the pancreas. If mild, often this and the GI upset can be countered with a light low fat diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish or cottage cheese). If they have diarrhea this will help as well, but we can also add canned pumpkin to their meals to bulk up their stool. But some dogs may need their vet to start fluids, anti-nausea medication and gut safe pain relief to just nip this in the bud for them.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you so much for the follow-up. He's doing fine - no bad consequences. He's just an 8 month old pup, so he's pretty resilient! He was fussy the first night, and seemed to have a little trouble settling down to sleep (probably had a bit of tummy ache), but by the next morning he was himself again. He ate a good breakfast and was soon off playing with his brother and acting quite normal. He's been fine ever since, so he seems to have survived the episode quite well. I am very grateful for your advice and help because this happened late in the evening, and I really didn't know what to do! Thanks again!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome and thank you for the update, my dear.

I am glad to hear that he has made a full recovery despite his overindulgence with the butter. Hopefully, he will refrain from giving you any more scares for a good wee while. :)

Best wishes & a lovely day,

Dr. B.

***Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: ) ****