Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

I have a dachshund that ate part of a rubbery plastic toy.

Customer Question

I have a dachshund that ate part of a rubbery plastic toy. He's been spitting up infrequently since.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dachshund will be able to digest that. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Gator and he's 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gator?
Customer: His nose is dry now, wasn't earlier. He won't go anywhere near food, but won't turn down cheese. Gave him a little bit.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about Gator. How long ago did he eat this object?

Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

It appears that you aren't online to discuss Gator right now. I am going to be signing off for the night but will be back on in the morning.

In the meantime, given your description I am very concerned that your dog has a foreign body obstruction. Signs of a foreign body obstruction include vomiting and decreased appetite. Even if he is able to eat some food and have bowel movements, we can have partial obstructions where some food is still able to pass. Your pup needs to have an x-ray of the abdomen performed to evaluate for signs of the foreign body and depending on if there is one present and the location, surgery or endoscopy may be needed to remove the object.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. IF you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 2 months ago.

Just following up to see how your dog is doing?