Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog.swallowed a drumstick whole what do I do I live in a

Customer Question

My dog.swallowed a drumstick whole what do I do I live in a very remote area and cannot leave due to darkness.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Lynn,

When I was a younger vet I was always very concerned about incidents like this, but surprisingly over the years my experience has been that most dogs will somehow get away with eating bones of all shapes and sizes. However I have worked out a fuller answer for you below ...

1. The best thing to do here is to just sit it out, that is about all you can do as it is not recommended to make dogs sick to recover solid objects like chicken bones in case it causes problems on the way back up. For the moment just monitor Norman and treat and feed him as normal and see what happens, as I said in my experience most dogs will get way with this sort of incident.

2. When you think about it wild dogs and feral dogs will be doing this sort of thing on a daily basis, and this is the way their digestive systems have adapted so they can feed as opportunistic feeders and scavengers, and the same thing actually applies to domestic dogs. Also some digestion and softening of the rib bone is possible in your dog's alimentary tract and this should help him to pass it.

3. However there are no guarantees and very occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems related to intestinal obstruction or intestinal tract damage where a dog has swallowed bones. You would be therefore be wise to monitor him carefully over the next three or four days for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult your local vet without delay if you do see any such symptoms or become further concerned.

Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Norman's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Lynn,

I am just checking back in to see how Norman is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chicken bone incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.