Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Lethargic and somewhat weak at trying to get up from the

Customer Question

Lethargic and somewhat weak at trying to get up from the back end?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Male European Great Dane puppy 6 weeks old. Weighs 10lbs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about European Great Dane?
Customer: Out of the 6 in the litter he is the only one acting like this.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with this pup. I need to differentiate weakness in the rear end due to a general weakness (as would be more likely because he's also lethargic) from a congenital (present at birth) skeletal defect. Please check his vital signs for me...

1) Check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).

2) Check his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.

3) Take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.