Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I have a chihuahua shitzu lhasa apso mix. She is 9 years old

Customer Question

I have a ***** ***** chihuahua shitzu lhasa apso mix. She is 9 years old she has had a lump on her back, right by her hind legs for a couple months. I just found another on the other side in the same spot. She doesnt seem in pain but who am i to say shes alright you know?
JA: I am Pearl, the Veterinarian's Assistant.
Customer: I am Rebecca nice to meet you!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about russell?
Customer: She has had trouble with her back legs.. Cant even jump a foot onto the bed, I thought because of her age but her brother and sister all of same liter run around and jump like theres no tomorrow. She has lost teeth and has had patches of black skin as well as other areas with red rashes. Previous vet we had said she could be allergic to grass. Her skin problems have been controlled but it has never went away.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question Rebecca. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Are the lumps below or above the skin?

2- Are they firmly attach to the underlying tissue or move with the skin?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They are below skin, by her hips joints on both back legs and they are firmly attatched.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, thank you!

Rebecca, generally lumps of the skin or below the skin do not interfere with the function of the limbs unless they become very large. So, it is very possible that her inability to jump could be related to something else like arthritis. As far as the lumps there are many different types of lumps that can occur below the skin of dogs, some could be benign like a lipoma (fatty tumor) or there could be aggressive malignant type tumors. Unfortunately on history alone and often with a physical exam we can not determine the type of lump. To determine the exact nature of the lump I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results. Finally, I would discuss with your vet about doing xrays of her hips and spine to rule out arthritis. In the meantime I would supplement with Cosequin (glucosamine) at label dose long term.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter