PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My two year old pitbull suddenly this afternoon looks like

Customer Question

my two year old pitbull suddenly this afternoon looks like she is squinting and there seems to be some distortion of her eyes. tried to wipe them out thinking she got into something in the bathroom but it only worked for a little while
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Do you have any pictures of the eyes?
2) Is she rubbing them?
3) Is it one eye or both?
4) Any facial swelling? welts in her coat?
5) Is she on any medication at this time?
6) Any past history of illness?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have not taken any pictures
no she is not rubbing them
some right around the left eye
no welts
no medications
no illnesses

Are you able to share any pics? This will help me to be able to see what you're seeing.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like and to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, you can post the link back and I can access them.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
this is the best i can do right now. she would only sit still in her kennel. light seemed to bother her

She's a lovely girl!

It's not a bad idea to plan to visit to the vet to be sure that there is not something that has collected in the eye. We often see even small things like dust, small pieces of leaves, etc. can be blown up into the eye outside. Your vet will want to ensure there's no corneal ulceration or damage and then give medication to decrease the irritation. We often use something that's lubricating so the eyelid easily slides closed and minimizes irritation.

Failing this, you can also try antihistamines at home. Sometimes these types of irritations are due to inhaled allergens (and pitbulls are the poster children for allergies) She can take 1-2mg/pound of body weight of benadryl every 8-12 hours. The swelling should decrease greatly in the first two dosings. If it does not, chances are it's not the direct reason for the irritation and it will necessitate seeing your vet once again. If this does help, she can take benadryl as long as is needed. If she does best with them long term, I would recommend zyrtec. The dosing is here:

Let me know if I can help any further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: