Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

This morning, my 3-month-old Goldendoodle got hold of a

Customer Question

This morning, my 3-month-old Goldendoodle got hold of a large piece of previously chewed gum that had been thrown in the trash. I was able to get it away from her rather quickly so she didn't swallow it. Should I be worried? She seems fine now but a little lethargic maybe. Should I take her to the vet now?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

Teresa, our primary concern with exposure to chewing gum is the artificial sweetener xylitol in some of the gums. Because it wasn't ingested, however, there's no chance of toxicity to Jemma. There's nothing else in these gums that can harm Jemma. There's no reason to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Teresa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jemma. How is everything going?