Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He has small nodules lining his abdoman and is retaining

Customer Question

he has small nodules lining his abdoman and is retaining fluids in his abdominal cavity and thoracic cavity...we drain it every week, but are looking for a long term solution. he is currently taking prednisone
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Shakespeare 9 standard poodle
JA: How old is Shakespeare?
Customer: 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shakespeare?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Shakespeare. Can you tell me, please, what, if any, diagnosis was made once the fluid was analyzed? Small nodules lining his abdomen would suggest neoplasia (cancer) and the fluid would then be a modified transudate associated with that neoplasia. If that were the case, chemotherapy might be of value in reducing the abdominal and thoracic effusions but a dual-cavity effusion suggests widespread metastasis and a very guarded prognosis.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?