Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

I have a 6 lb Yorker who is having mini seizures. Can not

Customer Question

I have a 6 lb Yorker who is having mini seizures. Can not afford a vet. Is there anything I can do that is over the counter from my home?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your dog's issue, unfortunately there is no anti-seizure medication you can give over the counter. I recommend saving up for a veterinary visit.

Anti-seizure medication has become more affordable, especially for a small dog and the monthly cost can be as low as 30-40 dollars depending on your area. You can also order online with a doctor's prescription as sometimes onlnine pharmacies are cheaper (but it will be your responsibility to make sure this is legal in your are and the online pharmacy is properly credentialed).

While you are saving up to see a veterinarian, you can keep a log of seizure events and take this in to your vet to help decide if medication is warranted. Its also important to have a veterinarian examine your pet in person so that they can determine if these episodes are indeed seizures, as many things can look like seizures but have different causes.

Does this help address your concerns today?