Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is lethargic and is holding her paw up. I have moved

Customer Question

My dog is lethargic and is holding her paw up. I have moved the paw and she seems okay, but she hasn't moved. Her paw shakes and jerks back and forth. She has refused popcorn her favorite.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear that your dog has lethargy and painful with her paw. I do worry there is something with the paw causing her distress since she is holding it up, an indication of pain in and of itself. Even if you are moving the paw and she is not reactive I do advise a veterinary exam to determine what is causing her distress. We are trained to manipulate in a way that will elicit individual joint reactions and if there is an underlying cause it may require x-rays to determine the origin in order to begin appropriate treatment.

But if she is that lethargic and the paw is shaking with non weight bearing lameness please consider a veterinary exam. Over the counter pain medications are not going to be appropriate and if there is something seriously wrong then getting her seen before the weekend is key.

You can do soft massage and rotate warm and cool compresses to the area but what you describe is a significant discomfort and I truly would like to see her get some pain management of some sort to provide some relief

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier and hope your dog is more comfortable

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman