Dr.  Levinson
Dr. Levinson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  17 years of experience in small animal medicine
95161809

My dog is about 5-6 years old, a terrier mix weighing about

Customer Question

My dog is about 5-6 years old, a terrier mix weighing about 26-30 pounds. She woke me up today about 5 a.m. breathing really fast, more than normal, and she was still sleeping. It continued for quite awhile and I'm wondering if that is really unusual or worrisome. I would appreciate someone's comments on this so I know if I should get panicky. (I tend to do that at times with things I dont understand.) :-)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Levinson replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. L and I'll try to help you today.

What's your pup's name?

I have some questions for you about her.

Does she have a heart murmur? or exercise intolerance when you take her out on a walk?

Does she pant a lot in the day even in air conditioning?

Is she over wt? Is she on any medications like steriods? Does she seem painful at all?

Does she cough in the day? Does she seem warm? Could you get her rectal temperature?

If you're not really noticing any clinical signs in the day time when she is awake and her temperature is normal, betw 100-102.5 degrees than she may just be going thru a normal R.E.M. sleep cycle when you see she's breathing fast. So yes, this could be normal.

Do you have any other questions for me?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi and thank you! My girl's name is ***** ***** yes she is overweight by most people's standards. But she's hyper and on the go usually when she's awake. I have noticed, particularly lately, that she is drinking a whole lot of water. It has been hot here in Colorado but inside we have air conditioning so I don't see where that should bother her most of the time. During the day sometimes she will go out on the patio (it has a brick base and a gazebo stands over it) and lay down in the shade. Most of the time though she hangs with me; she's my shadow....in more ways than one. I don't give her anywhere as much exercise as she probably should have though and I feel guilty about it because I'm sure that would cause her to be heavier than she should be. I need to get her in to the vet for shots very soon too. She doesn't have access to other dogs much at all except for my daughter's 12 year old minpin/terrier and they play well together. However when the other one isn't here Annie has a pretty low key life. Other than this everything is normal in her life I think. I'm probably not the best mom for her but I love her like one of my kids and she is wholly my girl. I just have a tendency to worry about ALL my KIDS! The water thing makes me wonder though if she could becoming a diabetic or have a thyroid problem maybe? This is about all I can tell you; I'm hoping I just might be making this seem like more of a problem than it is. She at this moment is laying three feet from me on the cool floor breathing normally and sawing logs!