Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

He has had diahreah for a full day now. His eating isn't a

Customer Question

He has had diahreah for a full day now. His eating isn't a problem but he isn't drinking a ton of water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Flynn. He is 4/5, he is a rescue so I'm not sure on exact age.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Flynn?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What breed is Flynn?

2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

3- Any blood in the stool?

4- How much does he weigh?

5- Is he on any medications?

6- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1. Mini Australian Shepherd2. He had 5 blueberries on Tuesday night and he has been chewing slowly on a Nylabone since Sunday.3. No blood4. 45/50lbs5. No6. He threw up once yesterday but hasn't since then.

1- Is he lethargic?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not that I have noticed

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1/2 tablespoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.