Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I gave my 80 lb dog a Dingo Triple Treat Rawhide done and

Customer Question

I gave my 80 lb dog a Dingo Triple Treat Rawhide done and this morning she will not eat and was vomited in the night. What can I do to help her feel better and get to eat and drink?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but did want to leave my thoughts for your return.

First, I must say that I am quite concerned about your lass. Rawhide is digestible (though it can take 3-5 days to do so) but if they eat large pieces we can see gut irritation, damage, and even blockage. So, we need to tread with care for her.

With this all in mind and since she is showing signs already, it would be ideal to have her seen at this stage. Her vet can determine if there is a blockage and address this appropriately for he. Though if there is any delay in having her seen, you can at least try supportive care to soothe her stomach. To start since her vomiting and appetite loss support nausea, we can try to counter this with an OTC antacid (ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Of course, if she cannot keep this down or doesn’t settle, we’d need her vet to use an injectable anti-nausea treatment for her.

Though if we can soothe her nausea, we can then start a light diet of rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose, offer this as small frequent meals to keep her stomach settled. Furthermore, you can add or administer a spoonful of canned pumpkin (a good fiber source) +/- a dose of cat hairball treatment to these meals encourage the rawhide to pass and keep moving through the gut.

While doing so, we’d want to keep an eye out for red flag signs of obstruction. We’d want to make sure that her gut stays comfortable and that we see no restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down after the above, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If we see any of these signs, then we'd have to assume blockage and would want to have her vet feel her stomach +/- xray to assess the situation and whether they can remove this for her (ie scoping if its in the stomach, surgery if its fully lodged in the intestines).

Overall, we need to tread with care since her current signs do make a risk of blockage in this situation high. So, we do need to tread with care. It would be ideal to have her seen just now to head this off. You can try the above if you cannot get her to her vet just now. Though any hint of those worrying signs I noted, and we'd want to have a check with her vet as an xray to see where the rawhide is and whether we need to intervene to remove it for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.
Hi Nora,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Penny Cropsey. How is everything going?