Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog Bean seems to have a rash on the inner parts of his

Customer Question

My dog Bean seems to have a rash on the inner parts of his back legs, which he continually licks and makes very red. Is there anything I can use to stop him licking and to put on this rash?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor lad!

Based on what you have you are describing we have 2 main concerns. If you are seeing only redness/inflammation, then we may have an allergic dermatitis. Though if there are any pimples or pustules, then a bacterial pyoderma would be suspect. With these both in mind, as long as this isn't severe, we can try some supportive care to help it settle. Of course, if it is severe or has lots of pustules or pimples; then we'd need to have his local vet dispense oral antibiotics +/- anti-inflammatories to treat this from the inside out.

Otherwise, to start, you can begin by cleansing this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help keep infection away and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness. Vaseline should be avoided here since it would only lock in moisture. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put an e-collar on him or at least a pair of boxers (backwards so there is a hole for the tail) as a breathable cover to protect this skin and let it dry out.

As well, since these rashes can often be triggered by an underlying allergy, you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, as long as this is not severe nor has pimples, pustules, crusting, or scabs; we can try the above for your lad. Of course, if this is causing severe irritation or Bean doesn't settle with the above; then we'd want to have this checked by his vet as systemic/oral treatment may be needed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )