Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

She was sick and had pooed all over in the night she then

Customer Question

She was sick and had pooed all over in the night she then took herself outside and was led under a bench she's also bleeding from the bum she's not led on the couch sleeping but very lethargic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Trixy and 11 if I move she picks her up up she's led here but won't close her eyes to sleep her nose is dry and she's slavering she's had several poos since and keeps bringing up bile
JA: How old is Trixy?
Customer: 11
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Trixy?
Customer: No otherwise healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What did her vomit and diarrhea look like? Was there blood in either?

Is she pouring blood from her rectum or is there just a bit present?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there is blood present on her bum but couldn't see any in her poo its like jelly and blood , her gums are black I just checked looks strange shes slavering its driping from her beard shes a miniature schnauzer , theres nothing she could of eaten her nose is dry shes just got up keeps wanting to go outside but she just hides under the bench and lies there , her poo was a dark colour in my room but outside it was diarohea and her sick was really thick and claggy.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just checked again at the back her gums are a pale pink and the rest is black
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
shes keeping water down so far shes just gone out for a wee but very lethargic and slavour is still dripping from her mouth
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
shes just being sick in the garden again
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I would note that since this breed does have pigmented gums, we can check her mucus membrane color by rolling down her lower eye lid. Though if you feel that unpigmented region is a normal color of pink for her, then we'd hope to rule out significant internal bleeding (which would be a worry if the stools were black as opposed to just dark). And I'd hope that is not the case since jellied/mucusy blood tends to just be due to colonic irritation from diarrhea. So, it is likely a side effect of all the feces she has passed and will settle if we address the underlying issues at hand.

Now based on the signs we are seeing with Trixy, we do have a few concerns. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general and dietary indiscretions. As well, it is possible to see these signs at her age secondary to organ issues (ie liver kidney, etc), cancer, IBD, and metabolic issues (ie Addisons, Cushings, etc).

With this all in mind, as long as she can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach (which is causing her vomiting as well as the drooling you are seeing). To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Zantac (More Info/Dose @, Milk of Magnesia (0.5tsp every 8-12 hours), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, as long as there wasn't actually blood in those stools just on her backside, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing for poor wee Trixy. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, check a blood sample to make sure her organs are working as they should, test a stool sample if needed, and rule out any sinister lumps/bumps. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, gastroprotectants, +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )