Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 5yr old shih tzu has a bump on his head. He's had it for

Customer Question

My 5yr old shih tzu has a bump on his head. He's had it for abt 3yrs now. He's epileptic & takes medication everyday. His bump seems to go away before a seizure & always comes back. His doctor has never really pushed me to get it checked. If you touch it with the slightest pressure he does show discomfort. I'm pretty sure his pump is a big factor to his seizures. I want to find a permanent solution for his condition. What steps should I take next.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Yes it is. Thanks for your sympathy. His name is Chewy.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chewy?
Customer: His seizures have never exceeded 1 minute, however, it has progressed where he will urinate on himself. Right after his episodes he's hungry & goes right for his dry food & water. He also gets seizures when he's in a deep sleep. We've even tried to change his food which has shown some improvement. He went from eating Beneful to Pure Balance but any recommendations would be great. He use to get up to 4 seizures in a month, now he's down to 1 or 2 a month. We make sure he stays active since his medication seems to make him very hungry. He's 21lbs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Any chance of head trauma during his seizures?

Does the lump feel attached to the skull or the skin?

Can you confirm he hasn't had a bump there or a soft spot since he was a pup?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.