PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

She got hit by a car. She has some abrasions. Can she take

Customer Question

She got hit by a car. She has some abrasions. Can she take something for pain like a norco or aspirin?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Harley. Not sure how old maybe 4-5 yrs
JA: How old is Harley?
Customer: 4-5 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

Acetaminophen can be toxic to dogs, so don't give norco. On the other hand, dogs can take aspirin. There's a dosing chart available here:

Keep in mind that there are inherent risks that come along with aspirin dosing. If she has suffered any internal injuries that have clotted, giving her aspirin will prohibit her from being able to effectively clot blood as well and may cause some major health issues due to the trauma that she has sustained. Weigh this against how much pain she is in before opting to dose. There are also other prescription medications that a veterinarian could prescribe during an exam like rimadyl, deramaxx, metacam, tramadol, etc. Often these are more ideal in a dog that has been hit by a car.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: