Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

12 year golden retreiver. I believe hip issues. Going to vet

Customer Question

12 year golden retreiver. I believe hip issues. Going to vet tommorrow however my dog is in pain and i am short of cash. I am a cancer patient and I have tramadrol can my pet use it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Chester
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chester?
Customer: Not that I know of, I know he has had trouble with hind legs. 8 years ago had surgery for hip.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

The new dosing recommendation for tramadol in dogs is 2-5 mg/lb up to every 8 hours. There's no contraindication to its use unless Chester were also being administered a pure opiate in which case there would be an increased seizure risk. Always start with the lowest dose and only increase if necessary. You can also administer aspirin at a dose of 10 mg/lb with food every 12 hours. Acetaminophen is OK at 7 mg/lb thrice daily but isn't antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.