Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog was running and now has been limping for two days.

Customer Question

My dog was running and now has been limping for two days. Looks like her hips are hurting her. If she walks a little bit they seem to loosen up some. She still has appetite and wants to play.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Does her walk have a swagger to it?

Is she limping on one leg more than another and if so which leg?

Have you checked the paws for anything stuck in between the pads?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nothing stuck in her paws. Looks like the right may be bothering her more and I can't really see much of a swagger.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

It may be a touch of hip dysplasia or joint pain from age. Joint pain usually gets better the more the dog moves where as hip dysplasia will hurt all the time.

The other thing to worry about is a cruciate ligament tear since the dog was running and there is a sudden limp. Your Vet would have to put the dog's leg through a range of motion to determine this. Then surgery would be needed.

If the dog is not currently on any medication from the Vet you can try giving aspirin and see if that helps with pain. This should only be given a couple days tops or stomach ulcers can occur. Give with food, do not give Tylenol or Ibuprogen type products.

If it does not improve then it is time to have the hips and cruciate checked and get a safer anti inflamatory med from your Vet.

Here are instructions with dosing. http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. It didn't really happen sudden. We came home from her run and after she laid around for about 15 minutes when she got up she was limping and has been ever since.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Yes that can still be a torn or stretched ligament

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If it's the hip dysphasia or joint pain will she get better with time? I understand changes will have to be made like diet and exercise but how long until she can walk normal?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

hip dysplasia depending on how bad , can require surgery. It won't get better but you can manage any pain. Joint pain such as arthritis also will not just go away but can be managed.

You can help both by inveseting in some Cosequin for dogs (found online) adding coconout oil to the daily diet and getting safer NSAIDS (anti inflamatory) from your vet for the painful days.

coconut oil dosing

http://sitstay.com/blog/coconut-oil-for-dogs

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
then she will always limp like this from now on?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 4 months ago.

Not necessarily, not as severe, just like humans on bad days we limp more because we hurt more. Much is going to depend on the actual problem. If it is a cruciate and you have surgery then the limp will go away.