Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

17 yrs old. Vomiting for 3 days. Sometimes loose stools, no.

Customer Question

17 yrs old. Vomiting for 3 days. Sometimes loose stools
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no. won't eat. I just fixed him some rice with chicken broth but he wont even eat that
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: shaking
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Pappy. Pappilion
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Pappy. Any dog who has been anorexic, vomiting, and occasionally diarrheic for 3 days will become seriously dehydrated and electrolyte imbalanced. A 17 year old who doesn't have the reserve of a much younger dog will become life-threateningly so. There's rarely just one thing wrong at Pappy's age but chronic renal and hepatic insufficiency as well as age-related malignancies are important differential diagnoses in such a patient who needs to be attended to by his vet at your earliest convenience. Home care is next to impossible because anything given orally - drugs or food - aren't likely to stay down. These patients require parenteral (in any manner except orally) therapy usually in the form of IV fluids until diganostics in the form of blood and urine tests are performed and the results of such testing evaluated. We can then tailor therapy more accurately and give you a prognosis for Pappy's return to normalcy. Time is of the essence with him.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?