Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

Can i manuall help express a swollen anal gland on my small

Customer Question

can i manuall help express a swollen anal gland on my small dog?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry your dog has swollen anal gland. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It is not hard to do, but if you have never done it before, you really should have some one experienced to show you how. If the gland is swollen because of an infection, you may not be able to express it, or you could make it burst. You need to know what normal glands feel like, where they are located, and how much pressure it takes to empty them before working on a gland that may be infected or impacted. When I teach owners how to do this, I have one person to hold the dog (it nearly always takes at least 2 people; most dogs do not stand still for the procedure) and I stand in back of the dog, put on a glove, and show the owner where the gland is. Then I have the owner put on a glove, and feel the gland. Since I have already felt the gland, I know it is safe to let the owner try to empty it, that there is not excessive inflammation or infection.

You can have a groomer or a veterinarian or veterinarian assistant show you how to do this. Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

Here is a video of expressing normal glands:

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I have not heard back from you; I hope you were able to see my response. How is your dog doing?

Let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer any other questions.