Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I watch dogs in my home and some dogs get gunk in their

Customer Question

I watch dogs in my home and some dogs get green gunk in their eyes. What is causing this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Ocular discharge can be caused by allergies , a problem with the eye lashes which turn in and scratch the eye, dry eye, a problem with the cornea, or infection. Each requires different treatment. Generally where there is color to a discharge it means there is infection.

Here you can read more on eye discharge and causes. I would speak to the owner and ask them to have the dogs checked. Give them this link so they are aware there might be a problem.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/ocular-eye-discharge-in-dogs

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I guess I am asking what could be causing it that is in my home. The color is usually greenish.

unlikely it would cause a greenish discharge. With allergies and dust would be a big factor inside a home , the discharge is usually clear

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is definitely greenish. Happened to several recently so that is why if Find it odd, especially because my 3 dogs do not have any issues. Should I Lysol the areas?

Lysol may irritate the eyes more. Anything that can be bleached (mixed with water) would clean surfaces.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive