Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My brother's dog has lost almost all of his hair and has

Customer Question

My brother's dog has lost almost all of his hair and has developed a smell. I have given him antibiotics in the past but has not helped. What do you think could be wrong?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Do you have any pictures to share?
2) What breed of dog?
3) How old?
4) Are any people or pets suffering similar symptoms?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is a mixed breed but looks alot like a lab/golden retreiver mix about 13 or 14 yrs. old..I have 3 other dogs that are not showing any of the same symptoms and cats that come into contact with him regularly that are also not showing any of the same symptoms.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He has been living at our house for about 6 months now as my brother moved and could not take him. My brother said his symptoms started about a year ago with small bouts of hair loss on back and was treated with antibiotic. Said it would get better but the hair would never fully come back in those spots. Hair loss has accelerated over the past 3 to 4 months to the point that he almost has none. Majority of hair that is left is around face, chest and front legs. Smell developed a few weeks ago. He is still eating fine but have noticed that is drinking more water than normal but not sure if that is just because of the increased heat.

Any pictures to share?