Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My German Shepherd started out with a "hot spot" lower back

Customer Question

My German Shepherd started out with a "hot spot" lower back above tail. I tried different things, he ended up with a bald spot that keeps losing its scab :( now there are patches all over his back legs that look like scabs and cuts of some sort...i was told to get the best flea meds and give him benadryl some days it seems to be clearing up then others not so much.. i really need direction.. thank you
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jax and he is 6 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jax?
Customer: he is not neutered and beautiful disposition :)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear your dog has progressive skin issues recently.

I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam to determine the underlying cause and more aggressive ways to control the symptoms

- Ensure a proper dose of Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours for itch. It may cause mild sedation initially
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo three times weekly to control the itch and progressive lesions with ten minutes contact time before rinsing. This will help to soothe the skin and if there is a contact allergy it will rinse away the allergen. It may initially cause progression of hair loss as he sheds the unhealthy coat and skin before it begins to improve which maybe a week or two but the scabs and lesions should begin to subside
- Begin a fish oil supplement with 1500 mg EPA & DHA daily. This will help skin and coat health but can take 2-4 weeks to take full effect
- Ensure you are feeding a high quality diet with no by products which can cause itchiness in some dogs

If the lesions are continuing to progress and or not resolving in the next few days please consider a veterinary exam. GSD can definitely have skin conditions that require antibiotics and sometimes stronger shampoos to resolve completely.

I hope this information makes sense and gives you a starting point for how to control his symptoms. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!