Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Is an anti-inflammatory safe to give to a 8 year old 60jb.

Customer Question

Is an anti-inflammatory safe to give to a 8 year old 60jb. dog?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do you meant a canine intended one or an OTC human one?

Does Addie have any health issues? On any medication?

Why do you feel she needs this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She has no health issues. Previous MCL surgery a year-and-a-half ago on same back knee. I believe she has reinjured it by chasing after squirrel. The medication is doctor prescribed for human
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Can you tell me which drug it is, as some are safe and others are not?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The medication is Diclofenic Sod. EC 75mg
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for clarifying,

Unfortunately that is not a safe dog option at all. So, you need to avoid that one for your lass. Instead, she would really be better on an dog safe non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam, Carprofen, Deramaxx, etc) for her signs. Or in a pinch you could choose to use OTC buffered Aspirin at a low dose (More Info/Dose HERE) while resting her post injury. But again Diclofenac is not safe for dogs and cannot be used without risk of harming her.

Kind regards,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.
Hi Barb,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Addie. How is everything going?

nekovet