Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is on trasodone anxiety during storms and it is not

Customer Question

My dog is on trasodone for severe anxiety during storms and it is not working. I was wondering if I can give him alprazolam (prescribed by his vet before prescribing trasodone) if he took a trasodone over 12 hours ago?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: He is severely agitated, pacing, panting, and won't go outside when I know he has to pee.
JA: Is this new behavior?
Customer: No - this has been happening now for a few years during monsoon season, but I had hoped that the trasodone would work. I thought it did, because we had storm earlier in the week and he did not react. However, he is now in a state and I need to help him and it is the middle of the night here.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ozzy, Newfoundland, 9 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Newfoundland?
Customer: He had surgery a year ago and radiation treatments that were completed about 8 months ago for a soft tissue sarcoma, but his vet didn't think that was in any way related to his anxiety.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Unfortunately, this would not be ideal. His Trazodone should not be discontinued without weaning him down. Therefore, we'd need his vet to decrease the doses over 3-5 days to minimize side effects of his coming off the drug. Though once they do, he could then restart the Alprazolam if that has worked better for him in the past. And finally just to note, we don't want to use the two together as they can increase the risk of adverse signs (ie drowsiness, confusion, wobbliness, lethargy, etc).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet