Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I think my 6-7 MO old puppy are a 300mg gabertin pill. Not

Customer Question

I think my 6-7 MO old puppy are a 300mg gabertin pill. Not sure if I took it or dropped it n she eats antthing..she's about 25 30lbs will i t kill her?? N it's been over an hour she's still acting same active n playful. What should I do as I can't get 2 a vet till morning I'm scsred. Help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long over an hour has it been since you think this happened?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again,

I have not heard back from you and as this is a time sensitive situation, I do want to leave my thoughts for your return.

Now the good news is that we do use this drug in dogs, so it is not an outright poisoning. As well, the tablet form thankfully doesn’t have xylitol as the liquid dose (which makes the liquid version very dangerous for dogs). That said, this is quite a high dose for a dog this size. Though I have to say that if she did eat this tablet that long ago I would not expect her to be playing but rather sedate, lethargic, and potentially with gut upset.

Therefore, I suspect she hasn’t had the tablet. And it would be ideal to lock her out of the room you lost it and have a good search to make sure it isn’t anywhere she can find it. Otherwise, if you want to just err on the side of caution, you can consider treating her with activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to keep a close eye and can try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )