Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 6 MO old yorkie poo is coughing and gagging since this

Customer Question

My 6 MO old yorkie poo is coughing and gagging since this afternoon. She doesn't seem to have trouble breathing but is restless and isn'able to get much rest though she tries to sleep. Her appetite was unchanged today. She has been at puppy daycare 4G in the last 10 days. I have an app for her at the vet but that's not til 4pm. Should I wait til then or should I seek attention for her sooner?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Is she gagging after she has a coughing fit? Any actual vomiting?

Is it a harsh or soft cough?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Her cough is soft and sometimes ends with gagging and expect oration mostly salvation with a little mucus her gums are pink and moist and her appetite unchanged. She can keep water down. No reaction to pressing on abd. She has not ingested anything untoward that I know of.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Mostly saliva , foamy
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now we can see these type of signs for a range of reasons. Though if Maggie has a cough then we see gagging, we would be more suspicious of airway issues as opposed to gut based ones. In regards ***** ***** causes for these signs at her age, the most common cause will be an upper airway infection (ie bacteria like Bordetella or viruses like Parainfluenza). Otherwise, with her signs, we’d also have to be wary of possible parasitic infections, bronchitis, pneumonia, and even heart issues. As well, since she has Yorkie heritage, we could just be seeing an infection worsened by her having a degree of tracheal collapse.

Now in regards ***** ***** question, as long as she can breathe normally, has lovely pink gums, and isn't in discomfort; then we can wait for her appointment this afternoon. If those parameters were to change at all, then we'd want her seen sooner. Otherwise, just to soothe her throat until her appointment, I'd note that you can try her with a mild cough suppressant. First, you can try her with plain over the counter glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing to the irritated and tickly throat. Typically we will give a 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed.

Alternatively, you can try Robitussin DM with her I would just say to make sure to use this preparation and avoid any similar syrups that may contain other medications like Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine (since these can be toxic). If it also contains Guaifenesin that is okay. Dose-wise, we tend to give this as 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of the dog's body weight every 8-12 hours. Again, this can reduce the irritation that is triggering her coughing fits and help let her rest until her check-up with her vet.

Overall, your lass’s signs and history are most suspicious of a bacterial or viral upper respiratory infection but could be more dramatic if she has a bit of tracheal collapse. Therefore, as long as her gums are pink, she isn't distressed, and is breathing comfortably; we would just want to soothe her throat with one of the above options +/- offer soft foods (to avoid any more throat irritation) until her vet appointment.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I gave her honey, don't have the othe meds mentioned on hand. She's trying to rest but so far continues huffing every few minutes. I feel better having had this consult, thank you. We'll just get thru the night and see if maybe the vet can see her sooner than 4pm.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

I am glad I could give you peace of mind here and starting the honey is fine. So, we'd just want to monitor at this point. And if you do want her seen sooner consider ringing her vets to see if you can sit and wait in case they have a free moment and can see her sooner.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm hearing some sounds that I could only describe as wheezing on expiration, only occasionally, but I thought I should mention it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

If you are hearing wheezing that could just be the throat being inflamed or possible lung involvement. So we'd want her vet to listen to both her throat and lungs; but again as long as she is breathing comfortably and we have good oxygenation (as the pink gums tell us), then she is stable and not in an emergency situation.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )