Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She has become lethargic and has discharge in both eyes.

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jill. I'm not sure how old she is...approximately 6 or so.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jill?
Customer: She's also had a lot of skin irritation this summer which has resulted in hair loss.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she has these signs?

Any changes to her breathing, coughing, sneezing or discharge from the nose?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

Any chance she has eaten something harmful?

What color is the eye based discharge?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No changes to her breathing, coughing, sneezing, or discharge from the nose. She's not been gagging, retching, lip licking, or vomiting. She has had a slight bit of jelly-like drool, but I was wondering if that's just from sitting with her mouth closed for extended periods of time without drinking and eating. Her gums look pink and seem normal. There's a possibility that she's eaten something harmful - anything is possible. Her eye discharge is pale yellow - a dingy white.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Her eye discharge has been a light green at times.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now Jill isn't giving you much to go on. Her eye discharge suggests a mild bacterial conjunctivitis but on its own it would not explain her lethargy. That said, if she has severe seasonal allergies, that certainly could do so. Since as I am sure you can appreciate being itchy everywhere can be quite miserable for them. Therefore, if she has no other signs to give us clues to what is making her feel unwell, we may need to focus on addressing these while keeping a close eye. And we can do this with you having ruled out urgent issues (ie those that affect breathing, anemia, or obvious GI compromise).

In regards ***** ***** so, we'd want to make sure she keeps eating/drinking as normal but can consider trying to allay her skin irritation with an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

For her eyes, you can flush these with eye-safe sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution). This is OTC at most pharmacies and some grocery stores. This can be used 2-3 times daily to soothe the eyes, remove irritants, and flush any bacteria trying to set up a full infection.

Of course, as you cover these bases do keep a close eye on her for those signs I had you check for her general demeanor. If she remains subdued or develops any of those signs, then a full check up with her local vet would be ideal. Though if we can soothe her skin, get her more comfortable and she settles; then we are happy.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Since we posted at the same time, I will just re-post to make sure you can see my reply. Though just to note green is also a bacterial sign as far as discharges go.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm following your suggestions, and she has times when she seems to be getting better. Other times, I can tell she's still not over it. Can you recommend anything for her skin issue?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She seems feverish at times, too.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

If she is feverish and this is lingering, then we'd be best to have her seen by her local vet. Though otherwise as you will note before I did mention the antihistamines for her skin signs. Otherwise you could try bathing her in oatmeal based shampoos, but cats tend to find bathing stressful. And if she doesn't respond to the antihistamines, then again we'd want her vet dispensing stronger options for that.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet