Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

I accidentally gave my 20 lb. Boston 1/10th ml of 1%

Customer Question

I accidentally gave my 20 lb. Boston 1/10th ml of 1% ivermectin without mixing it with propylene glycol. With harm will his cause?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Propylene glycol is used as an inert dilutant in this sort of situation as Ivermectin does not mix with water, so only Ivermectin itself is the potentially toxic factor, but if you gave the regular amount for your weight of dog then there can be no extra risk to Poochy.

2. What you did will not cause your dog nay harm of any sort but it may mean the Ivermectin is less effective given this way, you may want to repeat the dose using Propylene Glycol one week from now just in case.

Also I should be available online for you the next two hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.