Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

My yorkie shizu mix has runny bloody stools. we have a vet

Customer Question

My yorkie shizu mix has runny bloody stools. we have a vet apt tomorrow. how much chicken and rice should i feed her tonight?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry your dog is not feeling well. Is she vomiting? If so, then I would recommend withholding food and only offering small amounts of water frequently or letting her lick ice cubes. If she is not vomiting, here is my recipe for a bland diet.

The bland diet that I recommend is one consisting of a lean protein source (boiled skinless chicken breast, low fat turkey breast boiled low fat hamburger, or low fat collage cheese) and rice or plain pasta (no butter or salt!!! that will make her feel worse). Feed this in a 1:2 ratio of protein to carbohydrate and start with a few table spoons every few hours, then work up to about 1/4 to 1/2 cup 3 to 4 times a day over the next 2-3 days. depending on her size. If she does not want to finish it, move what she does not eat in about 30-45 min. You can always offer her more later but we do not want to make her continue to vomit or give her another reason to have an upset tummy.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification. I hope she is feeling better soon!!

HI there,

I noticed that you have not yet responded to my last message or accepted the answer I gave. If you have further questions and want to discuss your pet’s condition in more detail please feel free to let me know.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. If you have additional questions, concerns or need more clarification, please feel free to ask me.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie