Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Just rescued a dog from a kill shelter Monday we took m to

Customer Question

Just rescued a dog from a kill shelter Monday we took him to the vet yesterday and he has worms so we started him on de wormer he has started to show signs of kennel cough so he started antibiotics today as well but he hasn't pooped since yesterday around this time should we be concerned
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

You are a star for helping wee Shadow boy.

Now in regards ***** ***** question, I wouldn't be overly worried as long as he hasn't any belly discomfort and isn't straining like he needs to go. If he had either of those signs, then we'd need to consider having him seen for a check to make sure there is no blockage (from worms, hard feces or anything non-edible he may have eaten).

Otherwise, we can start some supportive care to help get things moving for him. In regards ***** ***** so, we can start by offering a bit of cow's milk. Often dogs (like lactose intolerant people) will have increased gut movement with milk and this can help them pass stool a bit quicker. As well, we can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to his food as this too can keep bowel movements regular for our dogs. And if we don't see stool with these, then you can add a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball treatment, Lactulose, Miralax) to a bit of canned food to again help get things moving for him.

Overall, he has had a lot of life change in the past few days and this can cause constipation in dogs. So, we'd not panic if he is comfortable but can use the above to just give his gut contents a wee push in the right direction.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )