Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Boxer throwing up foam and constant licking air and floor

Customer Question

Boxer throwing up white foam and constant licking air and floor inbetween
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Ate just before and did give him a milk dog bone earlier. It was bottom of the bag not sure iof that was a problem
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: no.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
answer no to all. I did give him a small milk bone dog bisquet which he may not be use too. He is licking constantly and he has been drinking water. Lat time he threw up was a lot.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All i can think of is the food he always eats had grain on the bottom of the bag and maybe he did not like it.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Drinking lots of water now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I would note that all of his signs ( the licking, the drinking, as well as the vomiting) are supportive of nausea and it is rare to see a milk bone from the bottom of the bag cause these signs. So, we do need to be wary of this being a dietary upset but also need to be wary of a possible brewing include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, unrelated dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

With this all in mind, as long as he can keep the water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the nausea signs we are seeing. Therefore, since he has none of those more worrisome signs I asked about, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Seems to have stopped licking after drinking lots of water
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Seems to be OK now. No more licking or throw up so I will use your recommendation on feeding him a little food later on. Would hamburg and rice be OK.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

That isn't surprising since he now has something in his stomach. Still you need to monitor and if he brings that up, then the above should be started. Otherwise, you can use rice hamburger as long as it is lean and boiled.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK. Thank You very much.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!:)