Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She is an English bulldog puppy, three months old. She has

Customer Question

she is an English bulldog puppy, three months old. She has recently gotten small pimple type bumps on her belly and chest. Also red spots
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the English bulldog's name?
Customer: Gia
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gia?
Customer: she likes to play in the grass and roll in it. I am not sure of what is used for lawn maintenance , chemically. She has a lot of toys that are stuffed with some filling. Fabric softener is used in the house. she eats Iams chicken and rice. Shampoo is puppy Lavender (I cannot recall brand).
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on the signs you have reported, Gia is developing a bacterial pyoderma. This may be secondary to all those potential allergens you described but the pimples are bacterial in origin. Now if she only has a few, then we can try some supportive care to help it settle. Of course, if it is severe, has lots of pimples, or is very itchy; then we'd need to have her local vet dispense oral antibiotics +/- anti-inflammatories to treat this from the inside out.

Otherwise, to start, you can begin by cleansing this area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream +/- hydrocortisone cream. The former can help reduce bacterial infection and the latter can reduce inflammation and itchiness for her. As well, since we need to prevent self-trauma, after all this we can put a tshirt +/- boxers on her as a breathable cover to protect this.

As well, since these rashes can often be triggered by an underlying allergies (like those you noted) you can also consider an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, as long as this is not severe; we can try the above for your lass. Of course, if this is causing severe irritation or she doesn't settle with the above; then we'd want to have this checked by her vet as systemic/oral treatment may be needed to clear this for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet