Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

We haven't took m to a vet yet but we gave m over the

Customer Question

We haven't took him to a vet yet but we gave him over the counter worm medicine. He was pooping out roundworms for a couple of days but now he has runny poop and sometimes diarrhea. He has pooped on my carpet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Pit Bull Puppy
JA: OK. There are all sorts of infestations the puppy can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Bull's name?
Customer: Kane
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kane?
Customer: Are the eggs in my carpet and if so what do I do to clean the area?
JA: I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8 Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/expert-quality-process
Customer: Are you going to ask the vet and let me know or do I go to this website?
JA: No. I'm the Veterinarian 's Assistant. 013 ?: ( <>
Customer: I thought that was the reason you put the website on there for me to go to. Sorry
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your little one Kane has roundworms and now has diarrhea after his worming.

Roundworms are extremely common in puppies and it is common for them to reinfect themselves if the walk through stools that contain eggs and then lick their paws. To avoid this we recommend picking up stools after puppies pass them promptly.

The concern with roundworms is that people can get infected by accidentally ingesting the eggs and these worms can migrate to unusual sites in people such as the brain, eye and spinal cord. So we want to avoid exposure to the eggs. Most of the time picking up normal, firm stools and then washing your hands well is fine. But loose stools make it difficult to pick all of the stool.

The short answer is that if he has loose stools on your carpet it is entirely possible that you may not have been able to clean up as well as you would have liked and it is possible that there may be a few eggs in your carpet. If you steam clean your carpet however that should pick them up and kill them.

I would probably try to keep him off the carpet until his stools are normal and he has been wormed a few time.

I usually recommend worming puppies less than 14 weeks every 2 weeks with a broad spectrum wormer and then monthly after they turn 4 months of age. Using a heartworm prevention that kills intestinal parasites too is an easy way to achieve that in older puppies.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****