Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 23 years. Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

She is very jumpy and not herself. A 12 year old yorkie,

Customer Question

She is very jumpy and not herself.
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: A 12 year old yorkie
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the animal?
Customer: She just seems to be very skittish and seems to shiver at any sudden movement of anything around her.
JA: Where does the animal seem to hurt?
Customer: I can't seem to pinpoint any one area. It might be the top of her neck.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No not anything.
JA: Is the animal eating normally?
Customer: She doesn't seem to have much of an appetite. I just thought that it was because it has been so hot lately.
JA: What is the's name?
Customer: Sophie is her name
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophie?
Customer: Well about 5 days ago I started giving her a immunity boost supplement called NuVet Plus.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Candy replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that Sophie is not feeling well. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Can you tell me when she ate last?

Any chance you could take a rectal temp, if so please do so and let me know what her temp is?

Is she spayed, if not when was her last heat cycle?

If you press on her abdomen does she seem painful?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Any recent changes to her diet including new foods or human foods?

Is she having any trouble jumping or going up or down stairs?

Do her eyes look normal?

Any history of eye problems?

Is there a specific reson you started the supplement?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She last ate a little yesterday morning. She ate her normal dog food which is Hill's Prescription Diet I/d Digestive Low Fat Dog Food and three nuggets of Hill's Prescription Diet t/d canine dental care dry food.She is spayed.No pain in her abdomen. No vomiting or diarrhea.No change in foods.A little slower at going upstairs and jumping.Her eyes don't seem as bright as normal.No history of eye problems.Started supplement to see if it would help with her skin allergies.
Expert:  Candy replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I apologize for the wait I had to step away to make dinner.

The symptoms you are describing do not really point us in a specific direction,

Shivering could be due to pain, stress or elevated body temp. Acting painful and shivering when moving and trouble going up the stairs could indicate a problem with a disc in the spine.

Disc disease is a common problem in small breed dogs both in the back and neck .

If what you are seeing is more her getting startled easily by things going on around her then we would want to get a good look at her eyes and ears to be sure her sight or hearing is not diminishing.

Now I can not rule out problems associated with this supplement you are giving. I spent an hour after you posted your question researching this supplement and I can tell you it concerns me. Some of the things that concern me about this supplement are

1. It contains Vit A, Vit E , Vit D and zinc but it does not give us the levels that each wafer or tablet contains. Vit A, D and E are fat soluble vitamins meaning they can build up in the body to dangerous levels. Zinc is toxic in certain levels and can cause neurological symptoms.

2. I do not like that this company is partnering with breeders and breeders are forcing buyers to sign contracts saying they will keep the dog on this supplement. This suggest a kick back program being given by this company rather then it being something that is actually good for pets.

3. They show no verified research behind this product and their claims.

4. It contains far to many different vit, minerals, herbs etc that if a pet had a reaction it would be almost impossible to know what it was to.

I personally would suggest stopping this supplement.If you want something that can help with the skin then go with an omega fatty acid supplement that you can get from your vet.

If after a few days of discontinuing the supplement you see no change or she becomes obviously painful or declines in anyway then I would have her seen by your vet for a hands on exam.

Try offering some boiled hamburger or chicken and rice. Elevate her bowl so she does not have to lower her head all the way. If she is willing to eat with an elevated bowl then I would be worried about a problem with a disc in her neck.

I hope this helps and she feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help.

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating . Rating indicates that you are finished with this session and prompts Justanswer to compensate me for assisting you today. I am not compensated for my time until you provide a rating.

Expert:  Candy replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?