PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My dog is eatn n drinkn but losi.g weifht and urinating all

Customer Question

My dog is eatn n drinkn but losi.g weifht and urinating all over the place for ahwile now hes 10.. Cou
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with Cou?
Customer: Hes loosing weight ,hes eatn and dring but hes lost bladder control. Hes a big dog
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cou?
Customer: Hes cant stand on his back hinds for long he seems to slowly go down .also he use to weigh bout 90pds hes probably 50 now you can see his bones .
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the hind?
Customer: Dont know if its hips from age
JA: Where does the hind seem to hurt?
Customer: Yes
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: He walks fine its just standing long periods he starts to slowly go down.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes nothing
JA: The Veterinarian. will know what to do. What is the hind 's name and age? $$new token = $minimal name token 00S a: ( < [ she he it 'I qwords interjections
Customer: Hes almost [email protected] old tipsy is his name
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian. should be aware of about the hind?
Customer: I think thats it im more worried with his weight as well its rapid
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Is he on any medication at this time?
2) What breed of dog is he?
3) Is he drinking high volumes of water?
4) Does he urinate where he lays or just can't control when he goes?
5) Have any recent diagnostics been performed?
6) Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pit/ bass/dal/beag.. No med. No high volumes of water.has to have diaper on all time goes in sleep asks to go out hes does know just doesnt make if2ft dribbles 24/7. No vomiting or dihRa

With the severe weight loss that he's had, you need to be concerned about organ dysfunction, diabetes, cancer, etc.

The very first thing I would do is to get him in to see a vet and have blood work performed and a urinalysis. This should tell you very quickly what is not right with him and what should be done about it.

At his age, anything from kidney issues to bladder issues can cause the dribbling. His problems with mobility may also stem from arthritis, symptoms which, when the pet is on medication, can easily be maintained. If nothing else, it would allow him the ability to get up and go outside. Bladder contractility may also need to be medically addressed if he's lost tone enough to be unable to hold it (best to rule out bladder issues here since underlying urinary problems can certainly cause the dribbling).

There's not a great deal at home that can be done that isn't already being done with preventing urine scald by keeping him clean, keeping him in a diaper if needed to prevent messes, etc.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?