Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My chocolate lab mix, Brownie, is 8 yrs. old. s elbow has

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, My chocolate lab mix, Brownie, is 8 yrs. old. His elbow has large callus on it that is irritated. It is not oozing but is red. It happens every summer. I first clean his elbow with Chlorhexidrine shampoo, then rinse with purified water and dry. Then use soothing spray and a antimicrobial/anti yeast lotion. He keeps licking it off. Is there anything else I can do ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Brownie.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brownie?
Customer: No, he is slightly overweight, but otherwise healthy. Right now we are in are very humid monsoon season with temps. in the 110 degrees range. I am thinking it is fungal, as it is only in the summer that he get this.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

Hello

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Brownie. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I might try applying some cortisone containing ointment such as Cortaid or Cortizone 10 to reduce swelling and redness. The prescription antibiotic ointment mupirocin may help as well, but you would have to get it from your veterinarian. Triple antibiotic ointment or Neosporin would be my second choice.

To protect the area, Dog Leggs might be helpful to cover the callus:

http://www.dogleggs.com/standard-length-adjustable-dogleggs/

It is hard to bandage the elbows; the wrapping usually just slides down. These cover and support the area without sliding.

Let me know what other questions I can answer and if this is helpful.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

If it is fungal, which would be unusual in just one spot, you can try applying 1% miconazole ointment.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! How is Brownie doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

Gosh, I never heard back from you! I am sorry to answer questions and never know if the answer was received or helpful! How is Brownie?