Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

On Thursday I took my dog to the vet check-up. He got s

Customer Question

On Thursday I took my dog to the vet for a check-up. He got his rabies and bortatella shot. They told me he needed to lose weight (golden retriever, 5years, 270. We cut his food in half and filled the other half with water. On Tuesday we wake up and he has thrown up all his food. Tuesday afternoon I get home and he is limping and barely moving. He wouldn't even go to his food. It seems to be coming from the back. When he sits...he is on one side and pivots on that side to get up. I've tried to ice him down but it doesn't seem to help.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He weights 120...not 270
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your pup!!! Is he still vomiting? Has his appetite been normal?

Is he having any difficulty breathing?

If you look at his gums, are they pink in color or pale?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is no longer vommiting. His appetite is normal. He breathes he is cooling off. I think his gums look normal.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That was an accident. I will continue to text
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

No problem!

I am glad he is not vomiting any longer!

I am doubtful that what is going on with him is related to the vaccinations. Usually if we are going to have a reaction to vaccines, it will be within a few hours (an allergic type reaction can cause vomiting, hives, facial swelling, trouble breathing), not days later. Sometimes we can have soreness develop at the vaccine site- usually that is within the first few days of having the vaccine. Is there any swelling where he had his shots?

Have you tried manipulating his legs at all? Does he protest to you flexing and extending them?

Does he have any swelling if you compare the two legs, feeling at the knee and ankle joints?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No swelling...I've flexed his legs and he doesn't seem to mind it
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Ok. Sometimes dogs can be very good at hiding pain, and do not react when we are manipulating their legs. Given your description, I worry he has either an injury in a hind leg (such as a muscle sprain or a torn ligament in the knee) or is having some back pain (such as a herniated/slipped disc in the spine). Both of these can cause reluctance to get up and move around as well as limping. The heavy breathing can be a sign of pain as well. To me, it sounds like your pup is in enough discomfort to warrant another visit to your vet for an exam and a prescription of pain medication. Unfortunately there is not a safe over the counter pain medication that I can recommend for dogs. It is also a good idea to have your vet look at him to be sure the heavy breathing is solely due to pain and not a primary issue with the respiratory tract.

Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know if you received my reply and if you have additional questions about your Golden.

I would also consider perhaps slowing down on the cutting back of his food- perhaps starting by cutting to food down to 3/4 of what he usually gets to start rather then cutting it in half right away, and then gradually continue to decrease. Another option is to switch to a weight loss formulated food (not sure what he is eating now, but this can sometimes help).

Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

I am getting ready to sign off of my computer for a few hours but wanted to be sure you didn't have any other questions about your golden before I do so?

Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jessica Keay