Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My dog has a chronic anus gland problem and my daughter

Customer Question

My dog has a chronic anus gland problem and my daughter cleans it up every now and then. Last night after pooping I saw there was blood outside his anus. She called her vet and he said its from his diet, which I don't believe that is the case. He eats his dog food and I give him some vegetables with coconut oil almost every day, as I read it's good to sort that problem.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Colin. 4.5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Colin?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Colin. Do you feel that he's scooting more than normal? Is he licking his rear end more than normal? What did his last stools look like?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he is leaking his back more than usual. Hid feces look normal: quite hard as usual

Thank you for that information. With the stools looking more normal, then it would seem suspicious that the blood that you saw could have been due to an anal gland issue. Typically when there is blood around the rectal region that is due to dietary issues, then the stools are very soft to mucus like. Could the blood be due to an anal gland infection? Could it be due to an injury around the rectal region itself? Could there be some trauma from passing a very hard and large piece of feces? These would be my bigger rule outs. I would say an exam by your vet and expression of the anal glands is a very good start to figuring this situation out.