Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

Can I give My Chihuahua of 7 1/2 pounds some infant Motrin

Customer Question

Can I give My Chihuahua of 7 1/2 pounds some infant Motrin drops for pain?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your pet's discomfort. Unfortunately, dogs do not handle over the counter pain medications as well as people so and ibuprofen has a very narrow margin of safety in dogs and I do not recommit and using it. Ibuprofen (the active ingredient in mortin) can cause acute kidney injury and gastric or intestinal ulceration even at therapeutic doses. The Non steroidal anti-inflammatory medications that are approved for dogs are safer, although in rare cases the same side effects can occur.

Bandaging will help with pain as this will protect the quick (sensitive part of the nail) until it becomes desensitized.

I would be concerned about aspirin making the bleeding worse so your best bet is a medication that is prescribed by your veterinarian. Since the bandage is protecting the sensitive part of the nail, you can monitor overnight and in the morning for pain and if you think he is still painful, take him in to be examined so your vet can prescribe an appropriate pain medication for your dog. If you think that he is uncomfortable and unable to rest tonight your best option would be to take him to an emergency vet.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. If you have additional questions, concerns or need more clarification, please feel free to ask me.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie

Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 2 months ago.
Hi Kimberly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bandit. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie