Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

I have a 3 year old boxer who normally inhales her food this

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old boxer who normally inhales her food this morning she didn't want her food i coaxed her to eat it a little while later she threw it up she's been laying around all day drank a little water this evening she has vomited several times the last time it was mostly retching she had thick drool hanging down both sides of mouth now for past several hours it's like she can't get comfortable she keeps changing positions pacing around keeps wanting to go outside paces around outside for awhile then comes back inside we have done this several times i have gotten her ti drink some water a few times right noiw she is laying on floor being still first time in hours
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to heat that Boogie is not feeling well and I hope I can help tonight. I wish I could tell you how to treat her at home, but it sounds like she needs veterinary care.

There are lots of reasons that dogs will vomit and the drooling likely indicates nausea but the retching and restlessness are what have me most concerned. I think it is important to rule out a condition called gastric dilatation and volvulus which is an immediately life threatening situation for which there are no home remedies. This happens when the stomach twists on its axis effectively cutting off both ends and then begins to fill with air because the air cannot escape.

Even if she does not have a gastric torsion, I think that she would benefit from IV fluids and pain medication as well as a hands on physical exam so that the appropriate treatment recommendations can be made. I wish I had better news of you as I understand that it is inconvenient (and in some cases expensive) to go to an emergency veterinarian but I would be remiss in my duty to you and her if I were to recommend otherwise based on your description of her behavior and situation. If I can be of assistance in helping you locate an emergency veterinarian near you, please let me know where you live.

And of course, if you have additional questions or need more information please do not hesitate to ask. You may also return to this thread and update me on her condition if you wish.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Ellie.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is actually asleep now first time she has rested in several hours if she continues to lay down and rest and not get up and down pacing is this something that could wait until first thing in the morning??

Her sleeping is a good sign, you can check her gum color and feel her abdomen. If her gums are anything other than a nice pink (i.e. if they are grey, muddy looking, pale or purple) then she should go in tonight. If her abdomen looks distended or makes a ping sound (like when you "ping" an air-filled ball) then she should go in tonight. Certainly if she begins pacing and acting uncomfortable or continues to retch or vomit tonight, then she should absolutely go in right away.

If there is no "ping" and her gums are pink, then you can wait until tomorrow if you want but it would be ideal to have her evaluated tonight given the description of the vomiting and drooling as she is likely dehydrated and would benefit from IV fluids at the least even if she does not have a twisted stomach. Unfortunately I cannot do a physical exam on her so I am unable to provide any guarantees that she will be ok without immediate medical intervention.

If you elect not to take her in tonight then she should be seen first thing in the morning.