Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
I am sorry to heat that Boogie is not feeling well and I hope I can help tonight. I wish I could tell you how to treat her at home, but it sounds like she needs veterinary care.
There are lots of reasons that dogs will vomit and the drooling likely indicates nausea but the retching and restlessness are what have me most concerned. I think it is important to rule out a condition called gastric dilatation and volvulus which is an immediately life threatening situation for which there are no home remedies. This happens when the stomach twists on its axis effectively cutting off both ends and then begins to fill with air because the air cannot escape.
Even if she does not have a gastric torsion, I think that she would benefit from IV fluids and pain medication as well as a hands on physical exam so that the appropriate treatment recommendations can be made. I wish I had better news of you as I understand that it is inconvenient (and in some cases expensive) to go to an emergency veterinarian but I would be remiss in my duty to you and her if I were to recommend otherwise based on your description of her behavior and situation. If I can be of assistance in helping you locate an emergency veterinarian near you, please let me know where you live.
And of course, if you have additional questions or need more information please do not hesitate to ask. You may also return to this thread and update me on her condition if you wish.
Her sleeping is a good sign, you can check her gum color and feel her abdomen. If her gums are anything other than a nice pink (i.e. if they are grey, muddy looking, pale or purple) then she should go in tonight. If her abdomen looks distended or makes a ping sound (like when you "ping" an air-filled ball) then she should go in tonight. Certainly if she begins pacing and acting uncomfortable or continues to retch or vomit tonight, then she should absolutely go in right away.
If there is no "ping" and her gums are pink, then you can wait until tomorrow if you want but it would be ideal to have her evaluated tonight given the description of the vomiting and drooling as she is likely dehydrated and would benefit from IV fluids at the least even if she does not have a twisted stomach. Unfortunately I cannot do a physical exam on her so I am unable to provide any guarantees that she will be ok without immediate medical intervention.
If you elect not to take her in tonight then she should be seen first thing in the morning.