Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is 18 lbs. and she ate 1 vitamin D3 capsule. Is that

Customer Question

My dog is 18 lbs. and she ate 1 vitamin D3 capsule. Is that a problem?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Courtney
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Courtney?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. What strength is the D3 capsule? { How many iu } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
400mg

Hi are you sure this is 400 mg and not 400 iu ?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
400iu

Great , I will have a reply for you shortly ...

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Good news! Courtney should be just fine, this was way below any listed toxic dose, there are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation.

2. While vitamin D can be toxic your dog she is not in any danger from swallowing a single dose of 400 IU, I say this because the maximum safe level of vitamin D is 10000 IU per Kg of the dog's bodyweight . Your dog weighs 8.18 kg { 18 pounds } so her toxic dose would be 81,800 IU or above.

400 IU was a tiny dose ...

Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Courtney's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Courtney is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the vitamin D3 ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.