Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Dog bassett hound got bottle of DHEA, unclear how many pills

Customer Question

dog bassett hound got bottle of DHEA, unclear how many pills she chewed on but several. is there a risk and what effects and what to dol.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bassett?
Customer: about 1.5 years old , heavy, have heard DHEA causes weight loss i humans
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

We don't have any scholarly studies concerning acute one-time toxicity of DHEA in dogs but it's expected to be safe. In humans, doses of up to 1,600 milligrams of DHEA taken by mouth daily for one month have been well tolerated. A dose of 50 milligrams of DHEA taken by mouth daily has been shown to be safe for up to six months.

We do have chronic toxicity studies in dogs which revealed that the primary target organs in dogs administered DHEA were the reproductive organs, adrenal glands, and potentially the liver. The following toxicities were observed: [1] testicular hypospermatogenesis and epididymal oligospermia; [2] depletion of corpora lutea and 3o follicles and cystic 3ofollicles; [3] mammary gland hypoplasia/atrophy; [4] lipid depletion of the adrenal zona reticularis; [5] decreased plasma cholesterol; and [6] increased serum ALT. The effects on the reproductive organs were not completely reversed after a 4-week recovery period.

I wouldn't induce emesis or treat in any manner. As with any dietary indiscretion, transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea might arise but not need treatment. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.