Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

My puppy Simba is 7 and 1/2 weeks old going into 8 and today

Customer Question

Hello my name is ***** ***** puppy Simba is 7 and 1/2 weeks old going into 8 and today around 12 he was super hyper and usually he is never like this and he was so energetic it worries me so I placed him on my bed I turned around 1 sec and all I hear is a thud and the biggest Yelp out of him he shakes and growls at me after 10 min he was okay he stopped shaking and crying he was normal but now he doesn't want to be next to me not when I carry him and he sleeps a lot more than usual . He eating drinking water but he's just not the same I see it in him that he's not the same ever since he fell
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Please tell me what I should do I tried taking him to a vet for a check up and they weren't open and I'm just so worried about my dog
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out.
Customer: So you can't help me then ?!
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: I've massaged him and he doesn't seem hurt he doesn't limp or anything he just sleeps a lot
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Is it normal for him to want to be sleeping a lot after the fall
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 4 months ago.

The fact that is is eating and drinking is a good sign, as is the fact that he is not limping. it may just be that he is very tired from running around energetically all day but in order to make sure i'd like to ask a few questions first.

What kind of puppy is he?

Can you look at his gums and see what color they are?

Did he eat his normal amount of food?

Did he vomit?

When he sleeps can you wake him up and is he normal once you wake him up?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is a shit-zu puro
His gum color is light pink
He did eat his normal amount of food
No he hasn't vomit
Once I wake him up he does go to his normal self for like 10 min and then he goes back to sleeping

Pink gum color tells me that he is able to get oxygen to his body which is a good thing. A normal appetite and no vomiting is also a good thing and that makes me less concerned that his blood sugar is low (common among young small and toy breeds). Since you are able to rouse him and he is normal when you do so, he is less likely to have a significant internal injury as well.

He is probably just worn out, poor little guy had an eventful day. He should be back to his playful self tomorrow but if he is not then he should be examined by a veterinarian.

Puppies, just like human babies need lots of sleep to grow and recover from periods of activity. Loss of appetite or prolonged periods of lethargy and sleepiness (a majority of the day or an inability to be roused) may indicate that your puppy is ill and should be examined but keep in mind that he does need several hours of uninterrupted sleep to be able to recharge his batteries.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. If you have additional questions, concerns or need more clarification, please feel free to ask me.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie