Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

Our dog had a run in with a racoon on our deck last night.

Customer Question

Our dog had a run in with a racoon on our deck last night. We checked her closely after a very loud, but short encounter and found no wounds. Today we can see one wound on her back, just below her ribs. It looks like a little 3 cornered wound with shallow abrasions nearby. We treated her by cleaning the wound (which was dry and closed) and applying Quadritop several times today. No sign of heat or oozing, etc. Should we get her to the vet anyway? P.S. We live in the Santa Cruz Mountains outside of Santa Cruz, CA - lots of raccoons, but no talk of rabies.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 11 months ago.

Sorry to hear about your dog's tussle with a raccoon. Even though there is no talk of rabies, its important to make sure your dog has been vaccinated. Even if she was, I recommend monitoring for unusual behavior or neurologic signs for the next 10-14 days and have her evaluated by your veterinarian if you not anything out of the ordinary.

As far as the wound, there is likely no need to do anything further at this point since it appears to be healing well and most superficial wounds will heal well with out antibiotic intervention if the dog is healthy.

If the wound is deeper (which may not be apparent given the scab) or puncture wound, its possible that an abscess may form so continue to monitor the area for swelling, heat, pain or redness (if you can see the skin) over the next 5-7 days. You can warm compress the area to help draw out infection if you notice an abscess forming but the best thing to do at that point would be to take her to your vet so that it can be opened up and a drain can be placed to allow further drainage. At this time, antibiotics and likely pain medication can also be prescribed.

If I have been able to answer your question satisfactorily, I would appreciate a positive rating so the website knows that I have been helpful as this is the only way I can be compensated for my time. If you have additional questions, concerns or need more clarification, please feel free to ask me.

All the Best,

Dr. Ellie

Hi Judy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Allie. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie