Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My puppy is 18 weeks -- mulitiple continuing infections --

Customer Question

my puppy is 18 weeks -- mulitiple continuing infections -- vet says have to wait till first heat to do vulvoplasty as usually takes care of itself. I am concerned about her having months of antibiotics and infection
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: No - otherwise healthy strong puppy ---- but they feel strongly about going through one cycle ---
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that you and your pup are dealing with this. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

is it a uti she is being treated for or vaginitis?

how long has she been on antibiotics?

are they proposing she stay on them until the surgery?

what tests/treatments have they done?

what breed is she?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for reply. First let me say love our vet. Her n partner have 25 and 30 yr experience. They have consulted and still are strongly wanting a first periodI will reply later w details once home and can refer to the antibiotics.

that is fine, it just may take me longer to get back to you as I cannot guarantee I will still be online at that time, but I will get back to you as soon as I can from there.