Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I am looking golden retriever puppy. I have found one that

Customer Question

I am looking for a golden retriever puppy. I have found one that has pretty clean lines but has one hemangio in the grandsire at 10 years of age on the dam's side. Is this likely to be passed on? There is also a liver tumor at 11.5 in the 4th generation back on the dam's side. On the sire's side there is the same liver tumor in 3rd generation--same dog. Is this a puppy that I should consider or look elsewhere.
Also,there is another pup from an imported golden. When the European golden's are imported, there is no record of cause of death. Should I require a history before considering this litter? The breeder says that the grandsire is still alive and well.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm very glad to hear that you're doing your research on getting this new addition to the house! In all honesty, the hereditary component of the cancers are not absolute as far as the predominance of there appearing in future generations. How likely is a chance of the hemangiosarcoma or liver tumor showing up in this puppy? More than likely they wouldn't be that worrisome as to require you to look elsewhere for a new family member. If you were to look in the lineage of pretty much any family tree of golden's you'll find the random spattering of those cancers along with lymphoma too. It sounds like this breeder has kept very good records to have this history to give to you. When a breeder shows that much responsibility, that definitely impresses me. As far as requesting history on other puppies, you can always ask and see what the breeder provides. The more information they can give, that again typically indicates that they are doing their best to put out as good of a quality of puppy as possible.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your answer. So how far back do you recommend that I look in the family tree? And do you ascribe to the fact that the English creams have less cancer? So weighing the two litters--one litter has the reported hemangio and the other has the cream with no information except that his grandsire is still alive. The dam of that litter has a 4th generation insulinoma at 10.5 and 5th generation osteosarcoma. They are both great kennels but one has better records than the other. What do you advise? We lost our 13.5 year old golden recently and I am really wanting to find a healthy dog!! Thanks so much

How far back to look? You could try and look back as far as possible to see what it reveals. 3 or 4 back seems to be pretty good to have an overall idea as to what has been there in the past. Again with cancers, they can sometimes come out of no where with some. As to which ones have less cancer, that seems to vary. I can't say that I find one versus the other having less or more. I'm sorry to hear about your recent loss of the 13.5 year old. To be honest, that is getting very old for a golden. At my ER, I'm unfortunately seeing many that aren't even 10 having lymphoma and hemangiosarcomas. The golden's are a great breed, but they do seem to have more cancer issues.